Friday, November 11, 2011

More changes.

It appears that winter weather is upon us here, or its at least starting to get noticeably more cold. I've been thinking about what would make a good winter project. I realized that I already basically had one. My dad and I have been working on his shop. We're in the process of finishing up hanging the ceiling and insulating the walls. I managed to score my dad a 5 year old Lennox 80% gas furnace that we're going to use to keep the temperatures at least bearable. We just need it to keep it above freezing and keep the machinery at a reasonable operating temperature to help prevent things from rusting. I have no doubt that the furnace would keep the shop at a decent temperature though as its a big furnace. We still need to finish the insulation in the walls, put up OSB (not using sheet rock) on the walls, wrap up the ceiling, hang the furnace, reroute the gas piping, run the electrical for the furnace, convert the furnace to propane, hang the furnace, vent the furnace, take care of the duct work, blow insulation into the attic, and make a little shelving. It sounds like a ton of work and it really is, but it shouldn't take as long as it sounds.

That's one of my winter projects. Help my dad finish out his shop. It will be far too cold to do any major work on the Jeep very shortly. There's no room for my Jeep in the shop as my dad's 1955 T-bird is in the shop. Thus I must work on the majority of the Jeep stuff outside. I got to thinking about my recent decision to change up the drive train and a light bulb clicked on. I can make a little room to work on the drive train. I can rebuild my trans, t-cases, get all my adapters in order, rebuild my 5.9L, and try to get my drive train bolted together and in working shape. I could also work on the axles too if I can manage to get around to it and/or afford it. What does this leave me with? A running Jeep for the winter. That means with a bit of maintenance and a little extra work I can hit some snow this winter while I work on my drive train.

I still want to try to at least pick up a set of corner guards so that I can do the body work ASAP once it starts to warm up again or if conditions become favorable due to freak weather. If I can swing the fuel cell and what not as well, then that would be an added bonus, but from what I've read, the drive train will probably nickle and dime me to death for the winter any way. I've also got a go kart engine to rebuild, but I've already got all the stuff to do it. So if I hit a snag on the big stuff, then I may switch over to that to hold me over.

Any way, this is how I hope my winter goes. I really hope that its productive and I get in some really good snow wheeling this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment